Quick Links to Info on this Page
If you want to maximize the results of your time in the gym but don’t like caffeine then you need to become acquainted with Magnum Opus pre workout. The Opus pre workout by Magnum Nutraceuticals is a potent pre workout powder that is designed to give you a different and much more powerful sort of energy than most other pre workout products. The energy that most other pre workout drinks give you is in the form of central nervous system stimulation which really means your heart rate is elevated, your senses are heightened and you are generally in a higher state of arousal and excitement. Magnum Nutraceuticals Opus energizes your muscles rather than your central nervous system. It contains clinical doses of over a dozen scientifically proven performance enhancing ingredients that work to help push your muscles to their limits and also support their efficient repair and recovery.
Magnum Opus Pre Workout Ingredients
The proprietary blend used in this supplement is called ‘Instabolic pHuel’. Someone in the Magnum Nutraceuticals marketing team was no doubt very happy with themselves when they came up with this one! Not only does it sound great but it actually gives a good indication of the key concepts that differentiate this formula from the rest of the market. Magnum Nutraceuticals state that the 3 aims of the Opus pre workout are:
To build muscle (or stimulate anabolism)
To raise muscular pH levels, and
to increase the rate at which the body produces energy when training and/or under stress.
When we look a closer look at the ingredients it becomes apparent that the actual purpose of this formulation is to build muscle and the other functions are just supporting this main aim. This comes as no surprise – the main reason anyone takes a pre workout supplement is to boost their performance in the gym and maximize the results of their workout, and the main reason anyone (well I would say the significant majority) are going to the gym in the first place is to build muscle.
So lets break down the key ingredients in the ‘Instabolic pHuel’ (I really love that – hopefully someone got themselves a good bonus for coming up with it!)
- L-Leucine: This has a few purposes – some of it is converted to Glucose and provides energy to the muscles, it helps the body maintain high nitrogen levels and it also blocks the uptake of Tryptophan (the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy after Christmas dinner) which helps to reduce fatigue.
- CarnoSyn: CarnoSyn is a special patented form of Beta-Alanine that is higher quality and more effective than a straight Beta-Alanine supplement. Beta-Alanine is an important performance enhancing component that should be included in every pre workout supplement. Beta-Alanine supplementation increases intra-muscular Carnosine which is used in firing your muscles and it increases both aerobic and anaerobic endurance leading to longer workouts and more torn muscle fibres.
- L-Citrulline Malate: When you’re pushing your muscles hard they need to be supplied with plenty of fuel and this fuel is transported to your muscles via your blood. Therefore it follows that maximizing the flow of this blood is very important. This is where the L-Citrulline Malate plays its part by increasing Nitric Oxide levels and promoting increased blood flow. It also helps the kidneys to remove Ammonia from the blood which is another benefit as increased Ammonia levels lead to fatigue which is not going to help you lift any more weight!
- L-Glycine: Cellular level energy is what this pre workout promotes and this is another one of the ways that it delivers. L-Glycine helps the body with the conversion of glucose to energy and ensures plenty of glycogen is available for the muslces which in turn helps prevent any muscle catabolism which may have occured as a result of working the muscles so hard. It also promotes the natural creation of Creatine by the body.
- Calcium and Sodium Bicarbonate: These two are there for support and make sure that the body gets the most out of all the other ingredients. They work to raise the pH levels (reduce the acidity) of both the stomach and the entire body. This in turn increases the amounts of the ingredients that make it into the bloodstream, delays the build up of lactic acid and increases performance of the muscles. Having an acidic pH level in the body reduces muscle mass and by making things more alkaline this stuff is making you stronger, basically. There are also quite a lot of acids in the other ingredients of this pre workout so some alkaloids are necessary to balance it out.
Hydrating Energy Blitz
On first glance you may notice a bunch of different acids. These acids are all here to assist and enhance the Krebs’ Cycle, also known as the Citric Acid Cycle or Tricarboxylic Acid (TCA) Cyle. This cycle is basically the series of chemical reactions that happen in our cells in order for us to produce energy. One of the ways that they enhance the Krebs’ Cycle is by increasing the amount of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) produced by the mitochondria. ATP is used by the cells of the muscles for energy, hence it is rather important.
The phosphates also help the body with the production of ATP and Creatine. They also perform another important function of increasing the amount of oxygen transported to the muscles during heavy training.
The remaining components of the ‘Opus Hydrating Energy Blitz’ are all B group vitamins that make up a well balanced vitamin B Complex. B group vitamins play a very important role in the body’s metabolic processes such as the breaking down of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Vitamin B6 is critical for BCAA (branched chain amino acid) utilization too.
Magnum Opus Pre Workout Review Summary
All in all this is a great pre workout supplement for anyone looking to build serious muscle. It is not recommended for people who are exercising purely for weight loss or who are looking for a supplement to boost their cardiovascular performance as it really is designed to build muscle. Also, it doesn’t provide the central nervous system stimulation that most other pre workouts do so you are going to have to motivate yourself. Maybe you could throw on your favorite Rocky movie to get you fired up before you head to the gym; that always gets me going. Eye of the tiger! Anyway this is a high quality pre workout and easily one of the best caffeine pre workouts for women and also for men, for that matter! If you’re interested in the best pre workouts for women then check this post: The best pre workout for women 2015 – top 5 supplements for females.
Pro tip: You can buy it directly from the Magnum website but you’ll often get it cheaper on Amazon.com
Want reviews of other pre workout products?
Check out some other reviews on the pre workout supplement reviews page.